Old Pictures
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Pictures

Registered User Free Member VonBargenJL's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Old Pictures

i've been trying to find the old ww2 picture of a Marine running across a field hunched over, with his rifle...ive seen it several times but i cant find it. i want to buy a copy of it. does anyone know the title/photographer? and i read in an old leatherneck article about that picture and some scupltor made a statue based off of it.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    VonBargenJL,
    Just a hunch. I wonder if any Marine Corp Museums would carry that Picture/Poster? I know that alot of civilian museums sell replica posters and sculptors to the public. I believe that Camp Lejeune has a Marine Museum and I believe a website link.
    Gary

You could also try a post on leatherneckmagazine.com....another Gary

Smile

IF IT HELPS ANY,I BELIEVE THAT PHOTO WAS TAKEN ON IWO JIMA-
    HISTORY CHANNEL HAD THE PROGRAM THAT HAD THE MARINE IN QUESTION & THE COMBAT PHOTOGRAPHER THAT TOOK IT---

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    The statue in question is here in my cabinet. The Marine's name was Pfc.Paul Ison and he was photographed on Okinawa May 10th,1945 while dashing across a "hot spot" called "Death Valley". I was present at the time, we were in the 6th Marine Division and had landed on"Okie, April 1, Easter Sunday. A great artist and sculptor created the statue from the photo, Mr. John Chalk. The cover of Leatherneck Magazine of April 1995 has the photo full size on the cover. Contact War and Peace Inc. at 1777 Pottstown PA. 19465 who sold the statues. The price at the time I got mine was $325 + $15 S&H. Good luck Marines. Semper Fi.

Credits
    Savings
    Gave you an incomplete address, sorry, it is correct below:

War & Peace inc.

1777 E. Cedarville Road,

Pottstown, PA 19465

If the above works, you should see a copy of that photo on sale at Ebay...

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
    Ricardo

PS
    That the only one that I could locate on the web at the moment.

On a serious note. What is going through this Marines head? I'm up , they see me, I'm down? Could use a smoke now. Where the F&*^% is air support?

Makes me wonder.

Is he still alive?

THanks,

MW

Registered User Free Member VonBargenJL's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    thanks everyone, yeah, thats the one. im gonna get that for my room.

Credits
    Savings
    Sorry to say that the Marine in the photograph, Pfc Paul Ison did pass away some time ago. We "old poops" from WW2 are leaving this world in greater numbers with each day that goes by. Every last one of us that I have ever encountered has had nothing but good things to say about ALL of you who came after us. We are proud of what you were, what you are....and all that you have done past and present. We are proud to have been in the "Band of Brothers" and proud to have worn the uniform that you too have worn or are now wearing. Semper Fi always. Jack de Leeuw 43 / 51

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    John de Leeuw,
    You mentioned Mr. John Chalk. In the "Leatherneck" Magazine of Marines weblink on this site there is a picture of a Marine Ring sculpted by Marine Combat Artist John Chalk. The picture of the ring can be found in the lower lefthand corner of "Leatherneck" Magazine of Marines opening web page. He does do outstanding work.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Thanks John de Leeuw, that means a lot to us!

Semper Fidelis ~ Gung Ho!

Yes John de Leeuw, that REALLY DOES mean a lot to us!

I earned the title of Marine by example. The example of you and others that served with you.

You gave us a free and safe country to raise our children in. A free and safe country to make a home and to live out our dreams.

Thank you John de Leeuw for what you gave to your country and what you gave to us, your future Marine brothers.

Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    http://www.grunt.com
    Sgt Grit has that photo. Look under ART on the left side of your screen.

Registered User Free Member cockscap70's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    John de Leeuw, Saw that you were with 6th Marines. My father was Navy on the USS Hendry APA-118 and had Marines on board at IWO, and Okinawa. I have pictures, and know of a site that has video of the invasions. Semper Fidelis, Dale

Thread Information